top three - progress pics
bottom - final image
so i guess it’s done? i think? i hope so anyway…i had a lot of fun doing this one. i’m still not really sure if i can call it “impressionistic” though…well, whatever it is, it was fun to do and i like it :D
ok, so here are some images that have helped me with this still life.
these are the two main images that i was looking at/studying to see what i needed to do or what i could do in my attempt at an impressionistic still life.
holy cow it felt good to paint again! note to future self: don’t let yourself paint/art when on vacations. it’ll feel so much better when you go back to it then.
anyway, progress so far on still life #1. going for impressionism on this one. i’m not really sure i can call what i’ve done so far “impressionistic” but whatever it is, i like it.
this one is due friday (as in about 4 days) so more progress pics before then and the final image will be up either sometime friday or saturday.
i will also post some images that i have been looking at for help/inspiration later.
next still life will be me attempting surrealism.
is there some conspiracy against fantasy stuff in the fine art world? (when i say “fine art world” i mean stuff put up in galleries and museums) cuz i really don’t understand. why is it such a bad thing and/or why is fantasy stuff so frowned upon in galleries?
yay reference pics!!
so this is the set up i have for still life #1. i’ll most likely be using the last pic as the main (if not only) reference.
now i just have the issue of picking what style i want to paint this in…main issue: i really like detail and this set has a lot that i could do (and would LOVE to do) so that makes me think surrealism, but at the same time, i feel like it isn’t weird enough to fall into surrealism? i’m so bad at this. XP
any thoughts, input, opinions, etc. are appreciated :)
Ok, so here’s the plan for the semester in open studio:
- different style painting still life #1 (try a different style while practicing still life. most likely options for styles are impressionism, surrealism, and pointillism) - try to finish by Feb. 14 (if not, stretch it to spring break)
- different style painting still life #2 (one of the other options not tried yet from above) - only if first painting is finished around Feb. 14. If the other is done, finish this one by spring break
during spring break
- get reference pics for final two still life paintings (in normal realism style)
- get images for senior exhibition project from corresponding video (more about that in a later post - once it gets approved)
- buy canvases for exhibition piece
- start exhibition pieces
after spring break
- work like a mad woman to finish (about) 4 paintings for exhibition project by the end of March
- install senior exhibition show in first week of April (roughly)
- do last two still life paintings - finish by the end of semester
- try not to die of insanity (most important part)
so yeah, there’s my schedule for the semester for open studio. just think, this is only (technically) for one class. and i have 19 credits worth of classes this semester XD
Oil on canvas, digital video animation
This set of paintings is actually all on the same canvas, one over the other.
Recently, I have been working with the idea of how people show themselves to others and how everyone else responds to this. This is important to me because for many years I would surprise people by telling them about the things I liked, and they would say, “I didn’t peg you to be interested in something like that.” I always wondered why that was. I want my work to get viewers to really think about why and how they make assumptions about people they don’t know.
I created this piece to reflect on why and how we think it is strange when we see someone in a different context. An example of this is when you see a teacher every day in school, and then you see them in the grocery store. You know that it is normal for them to do this (they need to eat too), but it still catches us off guard. Another example is when you know someone at work who is quiet, and then you see pictures of them at a heavy metal concert. Our previous assumptions would tell us that this is very unlike them, even though they have liked that kind of music for years. But what about them told us that? How well do we actually know the people around us?
I have also been looking at the idea of how no matter what clothing we wear or events we experience, we are still the same person. I tried to depict this in this piece by painting different outfits over the same painting multiple times and keeping the face the same.
In exhibition, there is a video animation shown with the final painting to view the layers underneath. (here’s a special link to the unlisted video on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_6CoXQ2-YI )
Oil on canvas
The fireflies in the jar represent humans stuck in the rapid, monotonous flow of life. The fairy and dragon represent the magic that the world holds. When I say ‘magic’ I don’t mean the “swish and flick” type; I mean the magic of life and nature and the beauty of the world. Many people who work a desk job start to feel stuck after a while, doing the same thing day after day. They only get a glimpse of the world they are missing through a window by their desk. They never get to be a part of it and they never get to really experience it.
Side note: I have always enjoyed the fantasy genre. But in the fine art world, it is very difficult to incorporate it and still have the work be counted as fine art instead of fan art. In this piece I have attempted to blend the line between fine art and fan art by using common fantasy creatures to depict a deeper concept.
things to remember while drawing:
- anatomy is great but dont stop because you cant get it perfect
- not every picture has to be a masterpiece
- try new things but remember its ok to draw things you like to draw
- just because someone younger than you is “better” than you are does not mean you are untalented
- everyone sees things differently
- be proud of what you can do because nobody can do things the same way you can